Saluki Energy Forum - Start on Campus - April 4, 2019
Want to save the planet? Start on campus.
Thank you to everyone who attended! Here are the PDF's of the presentations and videos are coming soon:
- Justin Harrell - Campus Energy
- Geory Kurtzhals and Karen Schauwecker - Project Drawdown
- Amy McMorrow Hunter - Saluki Energy Focus Group
Date and Time: April 4, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Location: Morris Library Rotunda
Campus CO2 emissions from heating, cooling, and electricity in buildings are equal to burning 856 rail cars – about nine miles long – of coal per year. How do we fix that and make our campus better now and for future generations?
Time to take action and get involved in making the world a better place by starting on campus! Learn about: how to help reduce campus energy use, Project Drawdown resources, and some new Saluki Energy Focus Group programs.
- Chancellor Dunn: Brief Welcome Remarks
- Justin Harrel - about 30 minutes: Most of our campus CO2 emissions come heating, cooling and electricity in buildings. Justin Harrell, campus plant and service operations engineer, will tell us about how we use energy on campus, where it comes from, what sort of environmental impact our energy usage has, and what our best options are for reducing our energy usage.
- Geory Kurtzhals - about 25 minutes: SIU’s Director of Sustainability, Geory Kurtzhals, will talk about how the Project Drawdown resource can be used to enhance energy-related academic offerings and help shape our sustainability planning.
- Amy McMorrow Hunter - about 5 minutes: Amy will discuss Saluki Energy Focus Group programs that are already underway and that need everyone’s participation, including Green Office SLEUTHs, Net-Zero Salukis, Saluki Lights Out, and an Energy Research Survey for Faculty.
- The remaining time will be for any additional questions to the speakers, Saluki Energy Focus Group signups and networking.
- Remote viewers can participate at https://zoom.us/j/677103878.
- This event is free and open to the public. Light lunch provided.
- This event is presented by the Saluki Energy Focus Group, whose goal is: To help lead a campus-wide effort to reduce SIU energy use and transition toward maximized renewable energy usage.
- This event is part of a series of Drawdown-related activities hosted by the Sustainability Office.